When you want to get a truly powerful workout, there are two amazing features you’re likely looking for: something challenging and something free. That really is the ideal. But is hoping for it the same as seeking something that is too good to be true? Not at all!
That said, it can feel like looking for a needle in a haystack. There are thousands of videos out there – even free ones – but that doesn’t mean that they’re all good and will be challenging for you.
To get a good start, consider some of the following options:
• Jessica Smith TV - This YouTube channel offers workouts that are the same as going for a 10 to 30-minute walk, only upgraded with strength training, squats and other challenge boosters. This channel has challenge options for everyone from beginners to more experienced athletes, from a calmer walking pace to an advanced HIIT workout.
• Puzzle Fit – This channel offers workouts from 1 to 30 minutes long, led by Crystal Dena’e Hawkins. These are a great way to start into strength training, Tabata or HIIT cardio workouts. That said, they’re tough. What makes this channel amazing is that it does provide some difficult workouts but in a surprisingly approachable way.
• Short-circuits with Marsha – This channel offers free strength training circuits of 30 minutes or less, led by ACE-certified personal trainer, Marsha Hughes. The workouts use different types of equipment and are quite challenging. Beginners can get into them, provided they are in relatively good shape to begin with.
• Fightmaster Yoga – If you’re looking for a challenging workout in the form of yoga, Leslie Fightmaster offers a down-to-earth approach to the practice. The workouts are 20 to 30 minutes long and are focused on building strength throughout the entire body. While the experience is meant to be extremely calming and soothing, you’re sure to have broken a sweat by the end of each of these challenging workouts.
• Group HIIT – NASM-certified trainer Amelia is your guide throughout this HIIT and weight lifting fitness video channel. Each workout is 7 to 10 minutes long. It provides challenge and a great cardio workout with the feeling that you’ve joined a group, even if you don’t have time to be a part of a class.
• ShareFit – The ShareFit Workout Room is members-only, but the good news is that membership is free. These short videos provide challenging strength training workouts that you can do one at a time or in combination with each other.