If you’re trying to watch what you eat but don’t want to feel deprived, then you may want to focus on some hearty salad recipes. Though they may be salads, they are quite substantial, so you won’t feel like you’re being cheated. The key is to focus on the healthiest possible ingredients and then add some great twists to help them keep you feeling satisfied. If you want to get creative, then come up with some additional ingredients. However, at the very least, you want to start with these five options as a great foundation of hearty salad recipes that you are sure to love and that will keep you going strong.
1. Caprese Salad: You may not think of this as substantial, but it really can be. This popular salad features fresh mozzarella, basil, tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, and a touch of olive oil. You will be amazed at how it can help you to feel full; and if you add chicken or beans to it, it transforms into one of those hearty salad recipes that you want to keep enjoying as time goes on.
2. Green Bean Salad: This is fresh, delicious, and so super-easy that you’ll want to make it all the time. Take fresh green beans and gently cook them, then add in cooked potatoes, hard-boiled eggs, lemon juice, olive oil, and vinegar. Top with salt and pepper; then this tasty recipe is good to go!
3. Turkey Taco Salad: Instead of going for ground beef, opt for ground turkey. Then, instead of using a fried taco shell, just add in a few crushed tortilla chips for crunchiness. Top with fresh avocado, tomatoes, salsa, and black beans. You won’t need dressing or sour cream to enjoy the healthier version of this favorite salad.
4. Homemade Cobb Salad: You can’t think about hearty salad recipes without considering this popular option. You can make it healthier by skipping the blue cheese and using turkey bacon instead. Add fresh, chopped avocado, kale and mixed greens, hard-boiled egg, tons of veggies, a sprinkle of cheese, and a light homemade vinaigrette. So much better!
5. Quinoa Salad: Quinoa is especially good for you, and this salad features some delicious additions. Fresh mint, garlic, tomatoes, cucumbers, a bit of feta, and olives make this a Mediterranean salad that you will enjoy over and over again.