Hydroxycut is marketed as a "weight loss supplement". Originally containing the now banned and controversial ingredient ephedra, Hydroxycut's current formula consists of a list of ingredients that have no scientific support for thier abilities to promote weight loss. Hydroxycut and non-caffeinated Hydroxycut are both available for purchase as weight loss products.
2009 Update on Hydroxycut - Hydroxycut Recalled
May 01, 2009: The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has issued a warning for all people to stop taking Hydroxycut products after 23 cases of liver damage and one death have been associated with taking this weight loss product. Since it is unknow which ingredient(s) are the cause of these adverse health effects, all 14 Hyrdoxycut products have been recalled and deemed unsafe for use. The list of recalled Hydroxycut products are as follows:
- Hydroxycut Regular Rapid Release Caplets
- Hydroxycut Caffeine-Free Rapid Release Caplets
- Hydroxycut Hardcore Liquid Caplets
- Hydroxycut Max Liquid Caplets
- Hydroxycut Regular Drink Packets
- Hydroxycut Caffeine-Free Drink Packets
- Hydroxycut Hardcore Drink Packets (Ignition Stix)
- Hydroxycut Max Drink Packets
- Hydroxycut Liquid Shots
- Hydroxycut Hardcore RTDs (Ready-to-Drink)
- Hydroxycut Max Aqua Shed
- Hydroxycut 24
- Hydroxycut Carb Control
- Hydroxycut Natural
For more information about they Hydroxycut recall, please visit the official release by the FDA here: Warning on Hydroxycut Products.
Review of Hydroxycut Ingredients
- Chromium Polynicotinate - Chromium Polynicotinate is one of the main ingredients in Hydroxycut. The Federal Trade Commission has stated that since there is no credible evidence to support the position that chromium, in any of its forms, has any effect on increasing muscle mass, enhancing performance or losing weight. The American Diabetes Association has gone on record and stated "chromium supplementation has no known benefit in patients who aren't chromium deficient." And with the research that has been done, there is little - if any - understanding of how chromium is absorbed, distributed, metabolized and eliminated by the body.
- Hydroxagen Plus - "Hydroxagen Plus" that is a blend of Garcina Cambogia, Gymnema Sylvestre Glucomannan, Alpha Lipoic Acid and Willow Bark Extract. As used in supplements, hydroxycitric acid is extracted from the rind of a fruit called the Garcina Cambogia, or Brindle berry. Although hydroxycitric acid is used in some cultures to treat digestive problems, there is still conflicting evidence that it is effective as a weight loss or anti-obesity product. There has also been conflicting data that has been reported from some of the studies with hydroxycitric acid, where some studies resulted in subjects losing weight other studies resulted in no weight loss, or even weight gain.
- Gymnema Sylvestre - Gymnema Sylvestre is an ingredient of Hydroxycut that is derived from the leaves of a plant found in India and used as a treatment of diabetes. At this time there is no scientific evidence to support that this substance can aid in weight loss by preventing glucose from being absorbed by the body.
- Glucomannan - Glucomannan is basically a soluble dietary fiber derived from Konjac flour, which is very popular in China and Japan. Some studies have shown the Glucommannan is beneficial for the obese and for high-risk, Type 2 diabetics. Since glucomannan is a fiber, it is also effective for treating constipation.
- Alpha Lipoic Acid - Alpha Lipoic Acid, which is an anti-oxidant produced naturally by the body, is being tested as a drug to treat diabetic neuropathy (the degeneration of the peripheral nervous system as a result of diabetes).
- Willow Bark Extract - Willow Bark Extract contains salicin, which the body converts to salicylic acid and has the same effect on the body as aspirin without any of the side effects. In fact, Willow Bark was the basis for the synthesis of aspirin. History of usage of Willow Bark goes back as far as 500 BC when ancient Chinese healers began using it to control pain. Native Americans also discovered the value of the Willow tree for relieving pain from headaches and rheumatism and reducing fevers.
Finally, the last few common ingredients in Hydroxycut are combined in Hydroxy Tea, which consists of Green Tea Extract, Caffeine and Guarana Extract. Of course, the caffeine and guarana extract both act as stimulants, which gives you a boost in energy, but can cause serious health complications for some people who are susceptible to the effects of stimulants. Green Tea Extract has shown to be helpful and protective across a broad spectrum, from anti-oxidative to anti-cancer to the control of fat oxidation.
Hydroxycut and Weight Loss – Do Hydroxycut Diet Pills Work?
Hydroxycut (regular and non-caffeinated) is a blend of herbal products that have little or no evidence of possessing anti-obesity properties when taken alone, or together. With changes to diet, and an increase in the consumption of water, many people would experience weight loss and at this time there is no clear evidence that Hydroxycut can increase weight loss above and beyond regular diet and exercise.