When you have a sweet tooth, the thought of a bite of chocolate can easily make your mouth water, but indulging on a regular basis can easily lead to weight loss setbacks. Fortunately, there are many low calorie chocolatey treats from which to choose.
Having these low calorie chocolatey treats on hand can help to keep those cravings under control in a wonderfully tasty way. There’s no reason to feel guilty about eating a certain amount of chocolate. Particularly when you’re using a good quality dark chocolate with a high level of cocoa, as there are many potential health benefits to go with a bite or two of that delicacy every day or so.
High quality, low calorie chocolatey treats can bring you a great dose of antioxidants – even more than blueberries, pomegranate seeds and cranberries. Plus, it’s delicious!
Consider the following the next time you’re looking for a great snack or dessert that gives you your chocolate fix:
1. Protein shake – If your craving arrives after your workout, get your fix and refuel at the same time with a chocolate protein shake. Get one that is pre-flavored or mix a tablespoon or two of pure cocoa powder with your favorite plain or vanilla protein powder.
2. Mocha coffee – Add a spoonful of pure cocoa powder and a splash of milk to a cup of coffee for a huge, chocolatey antioxidant boost.
3. Cacao nibs – These roasted, broken cacao beans look somewhat like chocolate chips but offer a much more intense and slightly more bitter alternative with great health benefits, too.
4. Homemade chocolate spread – The store-bought spreads may be chock full of sugar, but if you make your own you can provide yourself with a simple and much more healthful alternative. Add pure cocoa powder to either mashed avocado or mashed dates for a tasty sweet treat.
5. Chocolate oatmeal – Add some cocoa powder to a bowl of steel cut oats if you like your breakfast rich and bitter. If you want to sweeten it without adding sugar, toss in a few slices of strawberry. You’ll feel like you’re having dessert!
6. Dark chocolate squares – If you find a chocolate bar made of 70 percent cocoa or higher, you’ll benefit from the antioxidants and the great taste at the same time. Just make sure you don’t eat the whole thing!
7. Chocolate coated berries – Melt a bit of chocolate and dip your favorite berries such as blueberries, strawberries or even banana or apple slices. Eat them right away or let them dry for a gorgeous treat later.