X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• legendarytroy
    started a topic Why do prescription diet pills stop working

Why do prescription diet pills stop working

I don't understand why Phentermine and Adipex can be used for only the short term. I've read that they can lose their effectiveness but I don't understand why that would be. How can they just stop working? Does the body become less responsive to it or immune to its effects? In these situations would it make more sense to have a higher dose?

• speeddemon
    replied
    Originally posted by Tiff View Post
    Is it just me or is it kinda dumb that diet pills can stop working? Is this also the case with Alli or just central nervous system stimulants? Actually does this mean that you can get used to caffeine, too?
    No I don't think it is the same with Alli. Alli is a different type of medication. It kinda works when you take it, but it's still not something you should be on forever, either, and it's also got some yucky side effects.

Yup, you can totally build up a tolerance to caffeine and an addiction. The more you drink it, the more your body will crave it.

Leave a comment:

• Tiff
    replied
    Is it just me or is it kinda dumb that diet pills can stop working? Is this also the case with Alli or just central nervous system stimulants? Actually does this mean that you can get used to caffeine, too?

Leave a comment:

• tammybear
    replied
    Originally posted by 1000kw View Post
    I think it's more of a dependency thing. I think phentermine mimics the effects of amphetamines, even though it actually isn't one, or something like that. So if you want to keep experiencing the same effects, you'd need to kick your dose up a notch, which, obviously is seriously not good for your health. I think it's also why this drug can also cause addiction side effects and withdrawal symptoms in some people.
    That's exactly it. It has to do with the addictive nature of it. Once your body has it for a while, it wants more.

Leave a comment:

• 1000kw
    replied
    I think it's more of a dependency thing. I think phentermine mimics the effects of amphetamines, even though it actually isn't one, or something like that. So if you want to keep experiencing the same effects, you'd need to kick your dose up a notch, which, obviously is seriously not good for your health. I think it's also why this drug can also cause addiction side effects and withdrawal symptoms in some people.

Leave a comment:

• legendarytroy
    replied
    Okay, but why does the body get used to them? It just builds up a tolerance or is it more like a dependency thing?

Leave a comment:

• ffviifan
    replied
    Originally posted by brightstar View Post
    I think it's because your body become immune to them, so they are less effective. To make them work again, you'd likely need a higher dose and from my understanding, for drugs like phentermine and adipex, that's not a good idea.
    You're right. Your body gets used to them so you stop feeling the effects. A higher dose isn't good for you so the best course of action is usually just to come off them.

Leave a comment:

• brightstar
    replied
    I think it's because your body become immune to them, so they are less effective. To make them work again, you'd likely need a higher dose and from my understanding, for drugs like phentermine and adipex, that's not a good idea.

Leave a comment:

Weight Loss Products

Collapse

Working...
X