Time restricted eating doesn't work

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time restricted eating doesn't work

I've been thinking about dong intermittent fasting because I've heard good things, but according to a new study lead by researchers from the University of San Francisco, intermittent fasting - separated by 16 hours of fasting - is not effective on its own to either lose weight or improving metabolism. I found this interesting, because I had always heard that intermittent fasting is good for the body and weight loss. What does everyone else think about this? Here's the link to the study if you're curious to learn more: https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/09/41...rk-weight-loss

I always thought it was good for you, too. Like not just for weight loss but also for controlling/balancing sugar levels, etc. I wonder why it doesn't work that well. Do you happen to know if they mean fasting for 16 hours as in overnight, too?

Comment

Originally posted by Beth View Post
      I always thought it was good for you, too. Like not just for weight loss but also for controlling/balancing sugar levels, etc. I wonder why it doesn't work that well. Do you happen to know if they mean fasting for 16 hours as in overnight, too?
      The study says it found no significant difference between those who fasted and those who didn't in terms of fat mass, lean mass, fasting insulin or glucose, HbA1C levels (whatever that is), energy intake or total resting energy expenditure. That said, I don't really find this study surprising...I mean, honestly, your sugar levels, energy levels and how much fat you burn or the weight you keep off doesn't have much to do with fasting. It's what you're eating, if you're exercising, how much sleep your getting, etc., too. All that plays a role in health, wellness, weight loss and weight maintenance.

Comment

Originally posted by anne View Post

The study says it found no significant difference between those who fasted and those who didn't in terms of fat mass, lean mass, fasting insulin or glucose, HbA1C levels (whatever that is), energy intake or total resting energy expenditure. That said, I don't really find this study surprising...I mean, honestly, your sugar levels, energy levels and how much fat you burn or the weight you keep off doesn't have much to do with fasting. It's what you're eating, if you're exercising, how much sleep your getting, etc., too. All that plays a role in health, wellness, weight loss and weight maintenance.
        That's kind of what I was thinking. I mean, I don't find it surprising that fasting on it's own isn't amazing for health and weight loss, it's all the other stuff you're doing combined that would indicate how well it works. Seriously, does doing any one thing lead to amazing weight loss results? Even dieting only takes you so far. I mean, yeah, you'll lose pounds, but you won't get toned or lose the flabby skin...that takes exercising to build muscle, etc.
        Reach your weight loss goal fast at the Weight Loss Center

Comment

I also think that intermittent fasting is probably good for you when combined with proper eating and exercise. I mean, how can anyone think that just doing one change will make all the difference, especially if you're not controlling what you eat and you're just sitting around like a lump on a log...

Comment

Originally posted by Gina View Post
            I also think that intermittent fasting is probably good for you when combined with proper eating and exercise. I mean, how can anyone think that just doing one change will make all the difference, especially if you're not controlling what you eat and you're just sitting around like a lump on a log...
            Very true. I didn't think of it that way, but you're right. The study doesn't really talk about what the participants did...if they weren't doing anything but fasting, I fail to see how this is a good study...

Comment

I likewise imagine that irregular fasting is presumably useful for you when joined with legitimate eating and exercise. That is to say, how might anybody feel that simply doing one change will have a significant effect, particularly in case you're not controlling what you eat and you're simply lounging around like a knot on a log

Comment

Originally posted by brightstar View Post
                I've been thinking about dong intermittent fasting because I've heard good things, but according to a new study lead by researchers from the University of San Francisco, intermittent fasting - separated by 16 hours of fasting - is not effective on its own to either lose weight or improving metabolism. I found this interesting, because I had always heard that intermittent fasting is good for the body and weight loss. What does everyone else think about this? Here's the link to the study if you're curious to learn more: https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/09/41...rk-weight-loss
                I'll have to agree with what you read. I was able to do it for about three weeks. My results didn't improve but i did find that it got harder and harder to stick to it. And even though I did stick to it, I didn't have any better results. I am better off just keeping an eye on my calories (not too restrictive, but making sure I don't go nuts) and keep active and stick to trying to eat healthy the majority of the time. I'm just trying to do better. The time restriction just made me feel continually punished and "on a diet". That's not a good relationship with food IMO

Comment

Originally posted by bruceH View Post

I'll have to agree with what you read. I was able to do it for about three weeks. My results didn't improve but i did find that it got harder and harder to stick to it. And even though I did stick to it, I didn't have any better results. I am better off just keeping an eye on my calories (not too restrictive, but making sure I don't go nuts) and keep active and stick to trying to eat healthy the majority of the time. I'm just trying to do better. The time restriction just made me feel continually punished and "on a diet". That's not a good relationship with food IMO
                  Did you find it hard to stick to for the time that you did follow it? Did you stop because it wasn't helping you lose weight, was it hard to do, or both?
                  Reach your weight loss goal fast at the Weight Loss Center

Comment

Weight Loss Products

Collapse

Working...
                  X