Are bitters good for digestion?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are bitters good for digestion?

Are bitters good for digestion? I've been hearing a lot about how it's great for you and helps to keep you regular and it may even help with weight loss. Is any of this true, or is this just a new fad?

No idea. I've never heard of this. What are bitters anyway? Do you mean like taking lemon juice or something? Doesn't that have a lot of acid?

Comment

Originally posted by tobetinytina View Post
      No idea. I've never heard of this. What are bitters anyway? Do you mean like taking lemon juice or something? Doesn't that have a lot of acid?
      The only bitters I know about are those used in alcoholic beverages....you can't possibly mean that I'm assuming hahaha. That said, if it's the same idea, I think they're made from herbs and things. I don't think it's the same as just ingesting straight up lemon juice. Either way though, sounds like a big ol' fad to me.

Comment

I would take care not to believe the stuff you read about bitters and helping with overall health and digestion. Unless you know what you're doing with that stuff, you could end up causing more harm then good. I feel that healthy digestion includes drinking sufficient water, eating on a schedule, eating slowly and eating healthy foods. Adequate sleep is also important :D

Comment

Digestive bitters are a formula of herbs that support digestive function by stimulating digestive juices like bile, stomach acid, enzymes. It's supposed to be helpful with breaking down food naturally and absorbing healthy nutrients.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron View Post
            Digestive bitters are a formula of herbs that support digestive function by stimulating digestive juices like bile, stomach acid, enzymes. It's supposed to be helpful with breaking down food naturally and absorbing healthy nutrients.
            That actually sounds like it would be helpful. Where do you get those?

Comment

Originally posted by bruceH View Post

That actually sounds like it would be helpful. Where do you get those?
              No idea. However, because they are herbs they're probably sold as supplements. I would bet a health store or pharmacy may sell them. If you really need help, you could always as a pharmacist.
              Join our Weight Loss Forum Community Today!

Comment

Originally posted by tara View Post

The only bitters I know about are those used in alcoholic beverages....you can't possibly mean that I'm assuming hahaha. That said, if it's the same idea, I think they're made from herbs and things. I don't think it's the same as just ingesting straight up lemon juice. Either way though, sounds like a big ol' fad to me.
                I was going to say the exact same thing! That said, I agree, I can't see that bitters would be the same as lemon juice which is essentially citric acid, sugars, etc.
                Join our Weight Loss Forum Community Today!

Comment

Originally posted by Ron View Post
                  Cool. Glad to know it's not just sucking on a lemon or a lime or something or just drinking alcohol hahaha. They do sound good though. I think I might ask my doc about them at my next appointment and see what she thinks.

Comment

Weight Loss Products

Collapse

Working...
                  X