Stevia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stevia

Is Stevia better for you than sugar and other sweeteners? I'm thinking about using it as my sweet that I need for baking, etc., etc. Is this a good idea of should I be wary of Stevia, too?

I don't think it's necessarily better for you. I mean, yes, it is a good substitute for sugar and as far as I understand it it's better than aspartame (cause seriously anything is better than aspartame unless you're diabetic) and other sweeteners. That said, I don't know if it's good eat a lot of stevia. Plus, if you've never had it before you might be shocked by the taste. For starters a little bit goes a long way. Stevia is suuuuuper sweet tasting. Also, I find that it has a weird metalic aftertaste...so it's kindof an acquired taste in my opinion. I would recommend trying it first (if you haven't). If you do like it, just like any sugared product, have it in limited quantities. It's okay to use it as a sugar alternative, but this doesn't mean you should overdo it, either.

Comment

No. Ultimately, Stevia isn't better for you than sugar or other artificial sweeteners. On the plus side, it is calorie-free and it's sweeter than sugar and it doesn't effect insulin levels, but it will still encourage you to want to eat more sweets, just like artificial sweeteners like aspartame, etc. Furthermore, there hasn't been any significant studies on the long-term effects of using Stevia.

I would recommend that whatever sweetener you use, bet it white sugar, honey, agave syurp, stevia, etc. use it in moderation. Train your tastebuds to get off the sugar cravings and you'll naturally consume less.

Comment

Honestly, just stay away from stuff like Stevia. they haven't even studied it enough yet to know exactly what it does to your body. If you're eating this stuff daily, who knows what it could be doing to you? Controlling how much sugar you eat is about self-control and just saying "no". If you consume less you will naturally crave it less. Yes, getting over the sugar cravings hump is hard but you can do it without resorting to sugar alternatives. Honestly, sugar alternatives are for people who can't have sugar for medical reasons like diabetes in the same way that gluten free is for people with celiacs. Don't make the mistake of thinking that using stevia in place of sugar is a good idea, especially for the long term and on a daily basis. Just beacuse something isn't bad for you in one way doesn't' mean it's not bad for you in another.

Comment

Originally posted by tara View Post
          No. Ultimately, Stevia isn't better for you than sugar or other artificial sweeteners. On the plus side, it is calorie-free and it's sweeter than sugar and it doesn't effect insulin levels, but it will still encourage you to want to eat more sweets, just like artificial sweeteners like aspartame, etc. Furthermore, there hasn't been any significant studies on the long-term effects of using Stevia.

I would recommend that whatever sweetener you use, bet it white sugar, honey, agave syurp, stevia, etc. use it in moderation. Train your tastebuds to get off the sugar cravings and you'll naturally consume less.
          Really? I had no idea it encourages you to eat more sweets. I thought it was only sugar and aspartame that did this. So, Stevia really isn't the best for you then? I'm so confused about this sugar alternative. I feel that some people think it's great and swear by it, while others think it's bad. Does anyone have any real facts about it?

Comment

Nope and that's the problem, Tobetinytina. There aren't really enough facts about it to know just how good or how it isn't good for you. Without there being enough research, it really is one of those things you should consume in moderation.

Comment

There ins't any proof that it encourages you to eat more sweets. Honestly, it's unknown if it does this or not. Still, I wouldn't trust it to be an incredible alternative to sugar. Enjoy it in moderation, as everyone else is recommending and you should be fine. Essentially, when it comes to sweets - any sweets - alternative or not - don't over do it!

Comment

Weight Loss Products

Collapse

Working...
              X