Red wine and weight loss

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red wine and weight loss

Can the resveratrol(sp?) in red wine be beneficial for weight loss or is that only an antioxidant thing?

Not really. Try not to buy into the claims about dark chocolate or red wine. Neither is very good for you. It won't hurt to eat them on occasion, but they aren't really something you should go out of your way to make a regular part of your diet. There are plenty of other healthy and better-for-you food sources that can provide you with the antioxidants you need and that can also help you stay on track with your weight loss goals.

Comment

I think it's more of an antioxidant than it is of any real benefit to weight loss, and I also think it's one of those in moderation things. Considering most people don't tend to stop with one glass of wine in one sitting, I genuinely don't think that it's of any real benefit to health either.

Comment

The truth of the matter tammybear is that red wine does contain the antioxidant resveratrol, which can be very good for you. This polyphenol that is found int the skin of grapes can help to mobilize fat, reduce the accumulation of triglycerides and may even help suppress appetite and boost the body's fat burning, all things that can certainly be beneficial for weight loss. The trouble is that most of the positive studies related to these antioxidant's effects has been conducted on animals. Moreover, drinking red wine isn't enough to get the amount of resveratrol you would need to see these benefits. You would actually need to take a supplement, and honestly, you don't want to start messing around with that without first talking to a doctor.

Essentially, if you already enjoy one glass of red wine regularly and it makes you happy and isn't causing you any problems, that doesn't seem to be a problem. However, I don't think it's a good idea to either start drinking wine (if you don't drink it now) or increase your intake of red wine just to get more resveratrol into your system. In spite of the various benefits that have been associated with drinking red wine, always remember this very important fact, alcoholic beverages - no matter the form - is nothing short of poison. Please understand, I'm not anti-alcohol by any means, I love beer and my glasses of red and white and the occasional whisky, but if you're going to drink the stuff, you need to recognize that ultimately it just isn't good for your liver or organs, particularly if drinking is a regular part of your lifestyle. I mean, smoking cigarettes can suppress your appetite, too, but we all know why that's a landmine we should avoid. Alcohol is something to enjoy, but it's definitely not something that should be a habit.

Comment

Originally posted by legendarytroy View Post
          The truth of the matter tammybear is that red wine does contain the antioxidant resveratrol, which can be very good for you. This polyphenol that is found int the skin of grapes can help to mobilize fat, reduce the accumulation of triglycerides and may even help suppress appetite and boost the body's fat burning, all things that can certainly be beneficial for weight loss. The trouble is that most of the positive studies related to these antioxidant's effects has been conducted on animals. Moreover, drinking red wine isn't enough to get the amount of resveratrol you would need to see these benefits. You would actually need to take a supplement, and honestly, you don't want to start messing around with that without first talking to a doctor.

Essentially, if you already enjoy one glass of red wine regularly and it makes you happy and isn't causing you any problems, that doesn't seem to be a problem. However, I don't think it's a good idea to either start drinking wine (if you don't drink it now) or increase your intake of red wine just to get more resveratrol into your system. In spite of the various benefits that have been associated with drinking red wine, always remember this very important fact, alcoholic beverages - no matter the form - is nothing short of poison. Please understand, I'm not anti-alcohol by any means, I love beer and my glasses of red and white and the occasional whisky, but if you're going to drink the stuff, you need to recognize that ultimately it just isn't good for your liver or organs, particularly if drinking is a regular part of your lifestyle. I mean, smoking cigarettes can suppress your appetite, too, but we all know why that's a landmine we should avoid. Alcohol is something to enjoy, but it's definitely not something that should be a habit.
          I whole-heartedly agree. I do like wine, too, but I really don't like it when people try to sell it as "healthy." It's a nice drink, it can definitely make you feel relaxed, but you just can't forget that alcohol isn't good for your body, just as eating a whole whack of sugar and a whole ton of other stuff isn't. Also, speaking of sugar, keep in mind that there is quite a bit of sugar in alcoholic beverage, including wine, it is made from grapes after all.

Anyway, to answer your question specifically tammybear, because I know you were not asking to be preached at LOL, The resveratrol in wine is an antioxidant but it isn't beneficial for healthy weight loss on any grand scale. Drinking red wine daily isn't likely to hinder your weight loss efforts in any way and may even prove beneficial if it means you eat less, but, at the same time it's not likely to do anything great for your kidneys, liver, or brain for the long run either.

Comment

Originally posted by bruceH View Post

I whole-heartedly agree. I do like wine, too, but I really don't like it when people try to sell it as "healthy." It's a nice drink, it can definitely make you feel relaxed, but you just can't forget that alcohol isn't good for your body, just as eating a whole whack of sugar and a whole ton of other stuff isn't. Also, speaking of sugar, keep in mind that there is quite a bit of sugar in alcoholic beverage, including wine, it is made from grapes after all.

Anyway, to answer your question specifically tammybear, because I know you were not asking to be preached at LOL, The resveratrol in wine is an antioxidant but it isn't beneficial for healthy weight loss on any grand scale. Drinking red wine daily isn't likely to hinder your weight loss efforts in any way and may even prove beneficial if it means you eat less, but, at the same time it's not likely to do anything great for your kidneys, liver, or brain for the long run either.
            I don't think red wine is bad for your health, but I do think some people use that it's good for your health as an excuse to drink more, which isn't what a person should do, same thing with dark chocolate, which, by the way, contains more caffeine than the average person might realize...
            Reach your weight loss goal fast at the Weight Loss Center

Comment

Originally posted by bruceH View Post

Thanks for all the honesty. It's really in line with what I was sort of thinking. Like, while it may offer some benefit, drinking red wine constantly can't be good for your body. I mean, technically anything has the potential to be good for you in some way, but it's the overall long-term effects that matter and what bad things are occurring with the good. I'm glad to know that red wine does have some anitoxidant benefits, but, yeah, I'm not going to go out of my way to drink it or increase my dose.

Comment

It would be so awesome if red wine and dark chocolate were truly idea for weight loss though wouldn't it!

Comment

Weight Loss Products

Collapse

Working...
                X