Should I get a second opinion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I get a second opinion

I think that I'm at the point of my dieting efforts that taking a prescription diet drug is worth a try. I've tried different OTC products without success and I don't seem to be making any headway by engaging in traditional diet and exercise methods alone.

My doctor says that I don't need to take prescription drugs, but I have a BMI that is just high enough for these drugs to be acceptable for me to use. I feel like he does't understand that I need the additional help and he just think I'm impatient. I'm thinking of getting a second opinion but I feel like I'm going behind my doctor's back. I don't know what I should do.

What do you guys think?

I think only you can know what's right for you. If you really want to give prescription diet drugs a try, go ahead and seek a second opinion.

The only caution I'd give you is don't expect a miracle. For some people, prescription drugs don't really do much for them other than increase their risk of really unpleasant side effects.

I would suggest doing your homework on the drug you want to take and to not just read what the manufacturer has to say on their website, but also what people who have used the product think.

Drugs.com has a section where users leave comments and reviews.

Comment

I think you should always seek a second opinion if you don't agree with your doctor. It is your right to seek a second opinion. You're responsible for your health, no one else.

It is important to take the recommendations of medical professionals seriously. That said, don't be afraid to find out why they have the opinion they do. Talk to your doctor. If you have a doctor whom you feel you can't have an open conversation with, then maybe look for someone else.

Comment

Thanks for saying so guys. I do take what my doctor says seriously but I do feel like I want another opinion. I've been having problems discussing my health with my doctor. I feel like he's not really listening to my concerns.

Comment

Weight Loss Products

Collapse

Working...
        X