FODMAP Diet isn't good for weight loss

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FODMAP Diet isn't good for weight loss

Anyone else hard that researchers are saying that the FODMAP diet isn't good for weight loss? The reason is the restrictions of following this diet are unnecessary for weight loss. It may be helpful for someone people with IBS when the diet is implemented properly, but it does not serve as a good dietary strategy for weight loss. If you want to know more about it, this is what I read http://theconversation.com/the-fodma...ht-loss-131550. Just thought I'd share because it was interesting and I'd been hearing more and more people talking about this diet for weight loss.

This doesn't surprise me. It's like when people choose to go on gluten-free diets to lose weight or keto. These diets were created for individuals who have health issues. Just because a side effect might be weight loss, doesn't necessarily mean that it's good for you or that the weight loss you experience will be long term. The whole point to losing weight is to lose it for the long-term, and this requires finding a diet that makes sense to your lifestyle and one that you'll legitimately be able to keep up. A short fix for weight loss isn't going to help you in the long run.

Comment

What even is FODMAP? Am I the only person on the planet who has never heard of this one?

Comment

Originally posted by Beth View Post
        What even is FODMAP? Am I the only person on the planet who has never heard of this one?
        Nope. I'm sure there are lots of people who haven't head of it and if you haven't it's probably because you don't have IBS. This diet, which stands for Fermentable Oligo-, Di-, Mono-saccharides And Polyols (FODMAP) is named after a group of short-chain carbohydrates that are poorly absorbed by the body. For people who suffer from gastrointestinal symptoms, consuming a diet that that is high in these FODMAPs can lead to diarrhea and/or constipation, bloating, wind and abdominal pain. Therefore, the FODMAP diet has been designed for these sufferers, to help them avoid these foods to prevent these symptoms. Studies have found that this type of diet can indeed help individuals who suffer from IBS.

That said, just like gluten-free diets and ketosis-style diets (as Penny mentioned above), FODMAP is meant to help make living with an existing medical problem better (e.g. celiacs - gluten-free, FODMAP - iBS, Keto - epilepsy). Severely restricting foods from your diet when your body doesn't have a problem processing them is excessive, not necessarily healthy and will almost inevitably lead to your failing a diet because it's too hard and unrealistic to maintain with your lifestyle. After all, you're far more likely to avoid eating certain foods if it means preventing a seizure or painful digestive upset, but far less likely to continue avoid eating these foods if the only drawback is you might gain a pound.

Comment

I really wish that people would stop trying to cut corners with weight loss. It just doesn't work. You need to be fully committed to change in a real way or it just won't work and you'll spend half the time feeling miserable when you're restricting yourself on these diets and then half the time feeling guilty when you cheat and break away from the foods you're supposed to eat because the diet is too difficult for you to follow on a continuous basis.

Comment

Agreed! You'll never keep up with weight loss if you don't stick to a normal diet. Seriously, mostly it's a matter of eating less. You don't need to overhaul your diet...

Comment

I guess the only way FOODMAP will be useful for weight loss is if you have IBS. Otherwise, it is probably best not to follow a diet that you might find too difficult to keep up with.

Comment

Originally posted by chefmel View Post
                I guess the only way FOODMAP will be useful for weight loss is if you have IBS. Otherwise, it is probably best not to follow a diet that you might find too difficult to keep up with.
                That seems to be exactly the case. Unless you have IBS, just don't follow this diet for any reason.

Comment

Originally posted by bonniekins View Post

That seems to be exactly the case. Unless you have IBS, just don't follow this diet for any reason.
                  Yup. I don't get why people are always looking to diets and medications, etc. that are meant for other things to treat weight loss. A quick fix is never a long term solution.

Comment

Weight Loss Products

Collapse

Working...
                  X