water weight vs fat loss

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water weight vs fat loss

How will I know when I'm actually burning fat and not just water weight? If I lose 2 pounds in one week, is that all fat?

Essentially, if you lose it and it stays off, you've lost fat. If you lose weight but it comes back in a short period of time, it's water weight. Give or take we loose and regain on average up to 5 pounds of water weight on a regular basis.

Comment

Okay, so are you saying that if I lose 2 pounds in one week, it might not be fat loss? Should i just assume then that I haven't lose any fat until I can see that at least 5 pounds or more have been gone from the scale?

Comment

Originally posted by anne View Post
        Okay, so are you saying that if I lose 2 pounds in one week, it might not be fat loss? Should i just assume then that I haven't lose any fat until I can see that at least 5 pounds or more have been gone from the scale?
        No, it doesn't have to be that complex. Essentially when you weigh yourself, keep in mind that some of the weight lost (or gained) could be water weight. Weigh yourself in the morning before breakfast (when you have the least amount of water). Don't wait until the end of the day. Over time, you'll be able to see how much weight you've lost. I find it's easier to track my weight loss month per month instead of every week.

Comment

If you are 2 pounds lighter at the end of a week, you can't assume that it's all fat, especially not the very first week you weigh yourself. You'll have a better idea of how much fat you're actually losing, the longer you continue to weigh yourself. I agree with Maggie that it's far better to judge how much weight you've lost by month (or even ever two weeks) then to keep track on a weekly basis.

Comment

I also agree that you should pay attention to your weight on a monthly basis compared to a weekly basis due to the fact that weight really can fluctuate up and down due to the retention and loss of water, which can make it hard to really tell just how much you're losing. This doesn't meant that you shouldn't weight yourself on a weekly basis, just don't get too excited if you see a pound or two gone or feel really unhappy if a pound or two is gained, due to the water weight issue. That said, I do also recommend that when you weigh yourself it is best to do this in the morning before breakfast (but after you have gone to the bathroom) so you can get a better measurement of yourself before any water retention kicks in.

Comment

Honestly, it's really easy to tell the difference between the two. If you aren't losing weight, then you're not losing fat. If you are steadily losing weight than you are losing fat. If you are gaining weight, then you're gaining fat. Water weight will alter your weight between 1 and 5 pounds on average, but honestly, if you're steadily losing fat, you should notice a difference by the end of the month. I wouldn't personally start getting excited about weight loss until you've lost at least 5 pounds.

Comment

Weight Loss Products

Collapse

Working...
              X