Should I do it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I do it?

If I'm a healthy adult seeking to lose weight, is there any reason why I shouldn't take Atkins? I mean, I know a lot of people don't like it, but it's not actually harmful to health, right?

That's entirely up to you and is definitely something you should talk to your doctor about, particularly if you have a an existing health condition or are currently taking any medications. Atkins isn't necessarily a bad diet, but it is a restrictive one and it can cause certain processes to change in your body, especially during phase 1, which can lead to certain side effects. You can lose weight if you follow this diet properly but it really isn't for everyone and it's also well-known that many people who follow this diet tend to quit it after a while.

Personally, to me it sounds a bit like yo-you dieting because, just like Keto, it's really hard to keep up for most people. It's not an easy lifestyle to adopt.

Comment

I wouldn't. This diet is a fad diet, no matter what the science says. It's just like Keto and any other diet that requires you to make drastic changes to your diet that are unfounded. Yes, you will see weight loss if you follow either diet, but 1 - they are difficult to keep up long term and 2 - there is no hard evidence that following this diet is good for you over the long term. Quitting either of these diets will lead to rapid weight gain....does that sound smart to you?

Comment

Originally posted by CuJo1992 View Post
        I wouldn't. This diet is a fad diet, no matter what the science says. It's just like Keto and any other diet that requires you to make drastic changes to your diet that are unfounded. Yes, you will see weight loss if you follow either diet, but 1 - they are difficult to keep up long term and 2 - there is no hard evidence that following this diet is good for you over the long term. Quitting either of these diets will lead to rapid weight gain....does that sound smart to you?
        I agree. Chances are you're going to be like 90% of other people who follow Atkins, you'll do it for a while, see the weight loss and then you'll stop following the diet for whatever reason (even if it's not intentional) and the weight will come back on and then you'll have to start from scratch....this and keto are diets that essentially cause you to lose weight and re-gain it. It's a vicious cycle of weight loss and weight gain as you stay committed to the program and then fall off it and so on and so forth. I highly recommend you find a diet that makes more sense to your lifestyle and that you can realistically adopt for the long term. Drastically cutting out most carbs from your diet isn't the way to do it.

Comment

Honestly, that's really up for you to decide Mike. Get all the facts about the diet, ask yourself if it can realistically fit into your lifestyle and then if you think you'd like to try it and there's not medical reason why you can't, go for it. It's not a matter of finding the diet that everyone can agree is smart or sensible. It's about finding what works for you. If that happens to be Atkins, there's nothing wrong with that.

Comment

Originally posted by char View Post
            Honestly, that's really up for you to decide Mike. Get all the facts about the diet, ask yourself if it can realistically fit into your lifestyle and then if you think you'd like to try it and there's not medical reason why you can't, go for it. It's not a matter of finding the diet that everyone can agree is smart or sensible. It's about finding what works for you. If that happens to be Atkins, there's nothing wrong with that.
            Thanks for your support Char! This was all really kind of you to say. I think I am going to give it a try. There's not medical reason why I can't try it and I have done my homework and I think i'ts something that I can fit into my lifestyle. I'm someone who does well with structure. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post

Thanks for your support Char! This was all really kind of you to say. I think I am going to give it a try. There's not medical reason why I can't try it and I have done my homework and I think i'ts something that I can fit into my lifestyle. I'm someone who does well with structure. Thanks :D
              Have you thought about which Atkins you want to do? I think there's more than one. Like there is the original Atkins and I think there is an eco Atkins too.

Comment

Why not give it a try. It's not as bad as keto because it's not about sticking your body in a state of ketosis and leaving it there or anything. That said, it is challenging to keep up, which is why so many people struggle with it, tend to go off it, and then tend to balloon up because they go back to eating all the carbs.

Comment

Weight Loss Products

Collapse

Working...
                X