X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CuJo1992
    started a topic Squash recipes ideas

Squash recipes ideas

Squash is really on sale at my local food stores. There are all different types, too. Beyond just making soup with them, what are some ways that I can prepare squash so it makes a great meal?

• Tiff
    replied
    Originally posted by bonniekins View Post

Spaghetti squash, acorn squash, buttercup squash, and butternut squash are all great ones to try. The butternut, acorn, and buttercup tend to have a sweeter inside, while the spaghetti has a different type of texture and flavor that makes it good in stirfries and with more powerful tasting ingredients. I would recommend trying all of them to see which one you like best. Still, bottom line is if you want a super-rich flavor, acorn, buttercup, and butternut are good choices, if you want something more subtle, go for spaghetti. :D
    I know I didn't ask the question, but thanks for this! I never honestly knew that squash could have such different tastes, I always just thought they were overall the same sort of flavor. Guess I haven't tried as many as I thought LOL

Leave a comment:

• bonniekins
    replied
    Originally posted by CuJo1992 View Post

That's amazing! I never thought of baking them with a bunch of other things, like a squash casserole. What kind of squash does this tend to work best with? I imagine some are better for the baking and stuffing than others for both taste, size and texture purposes?
    Spaghetti squash, acorn squash, buttercup squash, and butternut squash are all great ones to try. The butternut, acorn, and buttercup tend to have a sweeter inside, while the spaghetti has a different type of texture and flavor that makes it good in stirfries and with more powerful tasting ingredients. I would recommend trying all of them to see which one you like best. Still, bottom line is if you want a super-rich flavor, acorn, buttercup, and butternut are good choices, if you want something more subtle, go for spaghetti. :D

Leave a comment:

• CuJo1992
    replied
    Originally posted by jan View Post
    Yes! Baking them in the oven is great and you can do it with so many different types of squash. I do bakes with rice, with pasta, with beans, with meat and all sorts of things. It's such a great and tasty warm meal in the winter!
    That's amazing! I never thought of baking them with a bunch of other things, like a squash casserole. What kind of squash does this tend to work best with? I imagine some are better for the baking and stuffing than others for both taste, size and texture purposes?

Leave a comment:

• Paplo
    replied
    Originally posted by Mike View Post

So, do you mean you baked it directly in the squash, or your bake the squash first, scoop out the contents and then mix it with the other ingredients in a casserole dish?
    I don't know what jan does, but you can definitely bake the stuff in the squash. I personally cook the squash first, then I add the filling and put it back in the oven to bake. There really is no wrong way to do it. Just whatever is easiest and most comfortable for you. :)

Leave a comment:

• Mike
    replied
    Originally posted by jan View Post
    Yes! Baking them in the oven is great and you can do it with so many different types of squash. I do bakes with rice, with pasta, with beans, with meat and all sorts of things. It's such a great and tasty warm meal in the winter!
    So, do you mean you baked it directly in the squash, or your bake the squash first, scoop out the contents and then mix it with the other ingredients in a casserole dish?

Leave a comment:

• jan
    replied

Leave a comment:

• kellykatt
    replied
    You can use it to make pasta sauces, you can bake certain ones with maple syrup and apples as a dessert, you can bake them and bash them up, you can bake them and stuff them with vegetables and meat or vegetables and rice or vegetables and beans, etc. There's actually a lot of great ways that you can enjoy them. :)

Leave a comment:

Weight Loss Products

Collapse

Working...
X