The difference

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The difference

How come some diet pills say that they are vegetarian and other say they are vegan when they are both dairy, fish and egg-free? Am I missing something here??

The difference often is related to capsules. For instance, even if the product is free of dairy, eggs or fish, if gelatin is used to create the capsule, it can be marketed as vegetarian but not vegan. Gelatin is typically created from the bones, tendons or ligaments of cows or pigs.

Essentially, while vegetarians don't typically consume meat or products from animals (e.g. dairy or eggs), they may still consume certain byproducts that come from animals or other living creatures, like gelatin, chitosan (from crustacean shells), honey, or certain dyes like carmine (a red dye that is made from insects). Any diet pill or product that contains these or any other substance related to a non-plant based living thing, cannot be labeled as vegan. Hope that helps :)

Comment

Exactly what Beth said. If you need a vegan product, make sure it says it's vegan.

Comment

Originally posted by ffviifan View Post
        Exactly what Beth said. If you need a vegan product, make sure it says it's vegan.
        I would go that one step further and not only make sure it says it's vegan, but to also check into the company and make sure you know their reputation. Anyone can say anything. If something matters to you, take that extra mile and make sure it's claims are true.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post

I would go that one step further and not only make sure it says it's vegan, but to also check into the company and make sure you know their reputation. Anyone can say anything. If something matters to you, take that extra mile and make sure it's claims are true.
          So true! You can never be too careful. If you really want to control what you put in your body you need to take the one extra step and do your homework. Assuming something is okay based on what you heard or what a marketing label says is one of the fastest ways to make a mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by Beth View Post
            The difference often is related to capsules. For instance, even if the product is free of dairy, eggs or fish, if gelatin is used to create the capsule, it can be marketed as vegetarian but not vegan. Gelatin is typically created from the bones, tendons or ligaments of cows or pigs.

Essentially, while vegetarians don't typically consume meat or products from animals (e.g. dairy or eggs), they may still consume certain byproducts that come from animals or other living creatures, like gelatin, chitosan (from crustacean shells), honey, or certain dyes like carmine (a red dye that is made from insects). Any diet pill or product that contains these or any other substance related to a non-plant based living thing, cannot be labeled as vegan. Hope that helps :)
            Thanks! I had no idea. I didn't realize that gelatin wasn't vegan or that being vegan meant eating no living thing (including bugs) or some byproducts (like honey).

Comment

Originally posted by char View Post

Thanks! I had no idea. I didn't realize that gelatin wasn't vegan or that being vegan meant eating no living thing (including bugs) or some byproducts (like honey).
              It's a lot more complex than people assume. It's more than just a dietary choice, it's a lifestyle.
              Reach your weight loss goal fast at the Weight Loss Center

Comment

Weight Loss Products

Collapse

Working...
              X