Recent research done by the British Dietetic Association found that a third of the people who were dieting ending up heavier then there original weight only a few weeks later. This is no surprise when we are surrounded by quick-fix, unhealthy diet programs. If you do a diet that’s not healthy, it is almost guaranteed you will end up gaining all the pounds you lost and maybe even more.
Fad diets are the kind of regimens where you consume a restrictive diet or some wired combination of foods for a short period of time. The trend goes like this, you start the fad diet, lose some pounds, you get happy, weeks later you gain the pounds back on, you get depressed and end up heavier. Sound familiar?
Finding the Right Weight Loss Program for You
Finding the right weight loss program for you may not be as simple as just picking a diet and finding success. Many dieters find that they have to try at least 3 different diet programs before they find the one the fits their personal tastes and lifestyle. So don't get discouraged if you try one diet and find it is not for you. Instead, do some more research and try again.
To help you along the way, Weight Loss Center has a large number of diet program reviews available. The diets are separated into 5 categories based on how they approach dieting and exercise. These five weight loss program categories are:
- Lifestyle Based Diets - These diet programs focus on making healthy changes to both diet and activity levels. In general, lifestyle based diets are the best choice for achieving long-term and sustainable weight loss.
- Calorie Based Diets - These programs are structured around controlling calorie consumption by either using calorie counting or strict, calorie-limited diets. Calorie based diets are particularly helpful for people who have not paid much attention to calories in the foods they eat, as you can learn a great deal of nutritional information.
- Meal Based Diets - There is a large range of meal based diets that can suit almost any personal taste or food preferences. These weight loss programs involve following custom meal plans, which can make it a simple choice for someone who just wants to follow a structured diet and not worry about making too many decisions about what to eat.
- Supplement Based Diets - These types of diets require you to take supplements during the weight loss program. These supplements are sold by the company who designed the diet and can be of some benefit or not. The supplements can also be expensive.
- eDiets - eDieting is a growing trend online where people can register to become a member of a website that provides community, support, recipes, menu plans and much more. eDiets can be a good choice for dieters who are web savvy and like to be involved with online communities.
Structured Diet Programs
There are also a number of structured diet programs you can look into that are not only set up to help you lose weight, but also combat a number of illnesses and ailments. You can find a large list of these diets in Weight Loss Center's Free Diet Plans.
For those of you who have the means and the time, weight loss spas may also be of interest to you. These programs are regimented and many have you living in the lap of luxury while you melt the pounds away. For a list of the top weight loss spas see the Weight Loss Spas Reviews.
Popular Weight Loss Program Reviews
LA Weight Loss is a diet and weight loss program based on reduced caloric intake along with nutrition bars and supplements, behavior modification, and personal counseling.
The Atkins Diet plan was first created thirty years ago by Dr. Robert Atkins. His low-carb, high-fat/high-protein weight loss approach has been used by over 15 million people.
The South Beach Diet concentrates on choosing the right carbs and the right fats. With the South Beach Diet program, many restrictions apply.
This diet program is based on developing a nutrition and weight loss program that is specific to an individuals personality type, which is an unique approach to diet program development.
The 5-Factor Diet gets its name from its simple formula: 5 meals a day, 5 workouts a week each made up of 5 exercises... and so on.
|Metabolic Diet |
The Metabolic Diet is a strict, low- to moderate-carb diet. There are no set times for eating, in fact this diet encourages you to eat when you're hungry, as long as your carbohydrate intake is minimized.
|Nutrisystem Nourish Program |
NutriSystem is mostly a portion controlled weight loss program. While being some what similar to Jenny Craig - NutriSystem has one major advantage, which is that its much more affordable.
|Jenny Craig |
Jenny Craig is a calorie controlled weight loss program, where all of you meals are mailed to you. This program in meant for people who want to lose 3 pounds per week in average.
|The GI Diet |
The G.I. Diet, or the glycemic index diet, modifies the speed at which your body breaks down food and converts it to glucose, which is used for energy or stored as fat.
|Slim Fast Plan |
Slim Fast is based on developing a nutrition and weight loss program that is specific to an individuals personality type, which is an unique approach to diet program development.
|The Zone Diet |
The Zone Diet plan, developed by Dr. Barry Sears, is based around the principle of harnessing the powerful, drug-like effects food has on your body.
|Weight Watchers |
Weight Watchers is one of the best known diets around. Its been running for over 40 years and has survived because it’s a program that truly works and gives results.
|The Cookie Diet |
The basic idea of the Cookie Diet is to consume 6 cookies per day along with a single meal at dinner time. The dinner should be high in lean protein.
|Fat Smash Diet |
The single most important aspect of the Fat Smash Diet is the idea that you can eat as many fruits and veggies as you like.
|The Biggest Loser Diet |
The Biggest Loser Diet program is based on developing a nutrition and weight loss program that is specific to an individuals personality type.
The Medifast plan has been recommended by doctors for years now, and has been proven that it really works.
|Cabbage Soup Diet |
The Cabbage Soup Diet is very simple. It is based on a "fat burning" soup that contains almost no calories.